Sunday, October 25, 2009

LIVE from Dublin

Well kids, I'm here in Dublin blogging from an internet cafe. Dublin is really cool, and I've only seen a small portion of it. Tomorrow I'm going down to the Temple Bar area which is supposed to be filled with cool shops and the like. I'm staying at a really nice hostel called Jacob's Inn til tomorrow when I leave for London for five days. My school is on break this week so that's what I decided to do for 'holiday' or vacation as we say in the states.
I just thought I would share with you some cool things about my school. I teach at Magh Ene college in Boundoran Ireland (which is the surfing capital of Ireland, I KNOW!!! Surfing in Ireland?? Yes, they sit out in full wet-suits everyday). The students are pretty well-behaved except the 5th and 6th year students (or the transitions years as they call them). They can get a little roudy, but they are nothing compared to 6th period (you guys know you were roudy!) Anyways, I find it hard to understand what the students are saying because their accents are soooo strong! I have to have them repeat simple sentences two or three times, it's so embarassing. Anyways, I've been able to do some really cool stuff since I've been there, including teaching a lesson already, and going to Letterkenny....this is wayyyyy up North. I'll update some more at a later time...and hope to get pictures up soon as well.
Cheers!
Ms. D

3 comments:

  1. what is a hostel? and how many pubs have you gone to?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ms D heyyyyyyyyy! I MISS YOU SO MUCH! ari and i miss you REPRIMENDING us during class....not! way to use that vocab! tell josh we said hi. i can't wait til you come back. it'll be so incredibly awesomely fantastically great. you'll have to tell us all the deets when you come back. i think you should wear a leprechon costume to school one day. the kids would probably think youre super cool

    ReplyDelete
  3. Log- A hostel is like a cheap version of a hotel only you stay in a room with up to ten people you don't know, or might know depending on the situation, and these can be both girls and boys. I didn't mind staying in an all female dorm, but the mixed dorm-or both male and female freaked me out when I was the only girl staying for a night! YIKES! So I moved to a different hostel up the road. Pubs, well I would answer that question, but I'm afraid a little too inappropriate.
    Sammy Jo-
    We'll I miss you guys too! I have spoken to Josh only a few times in email, it's too expensive to call, but thanks for asking :) I doubt my students would appreciate me dressing up as a leprechon! While that would have been cool for Halloween, not so for the regular class sessions.
    I will be back come January cause I'll be subbing, until March it seems, I then am moving I think for a few months out to California and staying with a friend while her husband deploys to Bahrain, she's having her first baby and could use some family out there for support. That's pretty much it for now.
    Stay in touch!

    ReplyDelete